Internal Complaints Committee
Prof. D. B. Krishna Kumari
Professor, Women’s Studies
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam
Prof. N.N. Kishore
Dean, Planning & Infrastructure.
0877 2500 309
Dr. N. Venkaiah
0877 2500 305
Dr. Srijanani Anurag Prasad
0877 2500 328
Dr Rajib Biswas
0877 2500 372
|Ms. R. Meera
Women’s Initiatives (NGO), Tirupati.
Ms. Sheela Reddy T
0877 2500 349
Chief Warden - Dr. S. Rajesh
0877 2500 306
|Student General Secretary||Member|
The Role of the Committee:
• To act as Inquiry Authority on a complaint of sexual harassment.
• To ensure that victims and witnesses are not victimised or discriminated because of their complaint.
• To take proactive measures towards sensitization of staff, students and faculty member of IIT Tirupati on gender issues.
• To discharge any other functions as per the Act.
Women at work place: Working without Harassment
The Supreme Court has defined ‘sexual harassment’ to include:
• Physical contact and advances
• A demand or request for sexual favours
• Sexually coloured remarks
• Showing pornography
• Any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature.
Often such behaviour goes unpunished because of hesitation on the part of women to report such behaviour out of a sense of shame or fear. It is important for women to protest against any behaviour that they feel is unwanted and unacceptable. The Internal Complaints Committee at IIT Tirupati has been set up with the aim of providing women an appropriate complaint mechanism against unwelcome sexually determined behaviour whether directly or by implication.
What should you do, if you are sexually harassed?
• Do not feel ashamed. Tell the harasser very clearly that you find his behavior offensive.
• Do not ignore the harassment in the hope that it will stop on its own. Come forward and complain to the Internal Complaints Committee.
• Talk to somebody you trust about the harassment. It will not only give you strength but also help others in similar situations to come forward and complain.
• Keep a record of all incidents of sexual harassment. If you feel the need to register a formal complaint later, this record will be helpful.
What action can be taken against the offender?
The Internal Complaints Committee is deemed to be an Inquiry Authority for the purpose of CCS(Conduct) Rules, 1964 and the report of the Internal Complaints Committee is deemed to be an Inquiry Report under the rules.
Once it is proved that the offender has indulged in sexual harassment in the work place, appropriate disciplinary action would be taken against him irrespective of his status in IIT Tirupati (staff, faculty, student) Where such conduct amounts to a specific offense under the Indian Penal Code, a complaint will be made to the appropriate authority for action in accordance with the law.
Care shall be taken by the committee to ensure that the victims of sexual harassment and the witnesses shall not be victimized while dealing with the complaint. The victims also have the option to seek transfer of the perpetrator or their own transfer.